The every child deserves a family campaign promotes the best interests of all children in the foster care and adoption system by increasing their access to loving, stable, forever homes, and works to ensure safe and supportive care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) youth seeking family formation.
Seven states – AL, TX, MS, ND, SD, VA and MI - have passed bills allowing adoption and foster care agencies to discriminate against LGBTQ children, youth and qualified prospective parents – as well as other prospective parents who don’t pass an agency’s religious test. Three of these bills passed in 2017 alone.
The campaign fights such “license to discriminate” bills on the state and federal level and builds support for the Every Child Deserves a Family Act, a federal bill prohibiting child welfare agencies that receive taxpayer funds from discriminating against LGBTQ youth or prospective foster and adoptive parents.
We believe that every child deserves a family.
Are you with us?
By joining the Every Child Deserves a Family Campaign, you (or the organization you represent) are affirming the following beliefs:
- All child welfare decisions should be made in the best interests of the child.
- All children and youth deserve a stable, loving, forever family.
- Taxpayer-funded adoption and foster care service providers should not discriminate against youth, including LGBTQ youth in need of homes, or qualified potential parents.
- Marginalized youth in the child welfare system, including LGBTQ youth and youth of color, deserve culturally competent, safe, and supportive care.
- Discriminatory adoption and foster care bills must be stopped and repealed, at both the state and federal level.